LEGO has officially revealed the next LEGO House exclusive set with A Minifigure Tribute (40504). The set has 1,041 pieces and will retail for 599 DKK, releasing exclusively at the LEGO House store starting on March 1.
The fourth LEGO House exclusive set features Captain Redbeard as a brick-built figure that stand about 30 cm tall and it includes a treasure map with secret references to the designers behind the product. It also has a blue LEGO House wristband behind the hook as a special detail.
LEGO® House Exclusive 2023: A Minifigure Tribute
LEGO® House releases tribute to the iconic LEGO minifigure
This year’s LEGO House Exclusive set “A Minifigure Tribute“ (40504) is a celebration of the LEGO minifigure – an indispensable part of the LEGO history since 1978. For 45 years, the tiny character has made it possible for children and adults to step into any adventure built in LEGO bricks. This limited edition set will be released on March 1, 2023.
Every year, the LEGO House Limited Edition set celebrates an iconic moment in LEGO history. One such moment was the launch of the LEGO minifigure in 1978. The small figure magically gives you the opportunity to become part of any LEGO adventure you choose to build — whether you dream of a noisy battle at sea, putting out a fire in LEGO city, entering hyperspace in a rocket, or hosting a feast in a castle. That magical ability turns 45 this year.
That’s why this year’s LEGO House Limited Edition had to be a heartfelt tribute to the more than 10 billion minifigures that have conquered the world since the launch. And it’s done with a big scale version of the legendary Captain Redbeard minifigure — now with special details!
Kathrine Kirk Muff, LEGO House Managing Director, said: ”Can you imagine LEGO play and the LEGO House without the minifigure — I can’t! The tiny, charming figure, just four LEGO bricks tall, is a standing invitation to LEGO fans of all ages as an empowering tool to tell unlimited stories. To highlight a significant part of the LEGO Group history — the invention of the minifigure — this year’s exclusive LEGO House product simply had to be a tribute to the minifigure. The minifigure can be found everywhere in LEGO House, not least in the Character Creator and World Explorer play experiences. We also started the 2023 season with a photo exhibition where the minifigure was at the center.”
But which minifigure?
Since the first minifigure was launched in 1978, LEGO designers have created a staggering 8,000 different minifigures with every imaginable face expression, hairstyle, hat, beard, dress, or superhero cape. Since 2010, they’ve even had their very own LEGO minifigures collectible series.
LEGO Group Designer Jens Nygaard Knudsen was the master of the minifigure design that we know and love today. He had to go through at least 50 different prototypes before finding the perfect design – a small figure that fits perfectly into the LEGO System in Play scale.
Captain of the ship
The original Captain Redbeard minifigure from 6285 Black Seas Barracuda was created by Niels Milan Pedersen and we chose to recreate this iconic figure in large scale for this year’s LEGO House Limited Edition set. Niels has been involved in the development of many popular LEGO sets during his long but still-active career as a LEGO designer. However, of all his many sets, his favourite set is still the 6285 Black Seas Barracuda from 1989.
Captain Redbeard is an intricate design with lots of fun details such as a hook for hand, peg leg, epaulettes on his shoulders, and a black captain’s hat with the ’Jolly Roger’ emblem. All of that iS meticulously recreated in this new set. The build stands 30 cm tall and consists of 1041 LEGO bricks and as a little extra detail, the pirate has a LEGO House bracelet on his hook hand and a treasure map in his hand with a secret reference to the designers behind the product!
Captain Redbeard is LEGO House Exclusive set number four.
LEGO House Exclusive: A Minifigure Tribute (40504) is only available at the LEGO Store in LEGO House, Billund, Denmark.
Facts about the LEGO Minifigure
• The first patent for the minifigure was taken out in 1977
• The first minifigure was launched in 1978
• The minifigure — without a hat or hairpiece — stands exactly four LEGO bricks tall
• More than 8000 different minifigure designs have been produced since 1978
• In total more than 10 billion minifigures have been produced since 1978
• The current LEGO minifigure is a clever combination of two LEGO figures — the LEGO building figure from 1974 and the Static Figure from 1975
• In addition to enabling role play in many LEGO play themes — the LEGO minifigure has also had its own collectible series: The LEGO Minifigures Series since 2010
• 2023 marks the 45th anniversary of the minifigure. Hip, hip, hooray!
Facts about the LEGO House Exclusive product 2023: A Minifigure Tribute:
• ’A Minifigure Tribute’ is a LEGO House celebration of the 45th anniversary
of the launch of LEGO minifigure
• The 1041-piece model is around 30 cm tall
• The model is a recreation of the minifig Captain Redbeard included in the Black Seas Barracuda set (6285) from 1989
• The model has a very special treasure map with secret references to the designers behind the product
• In addition, the model is wearing a blue LEGO House wristband as a special detail
• The base comprises two printed tiles with the words ’A Minifigure Tribute’ and ’LEGO House’ on them
• Ideal for fans of LEGO building and collectors of toy memorabilia.
• Suitable for ages 10 and up.
• Price: 599 DKK.
• This set is exclusively available in the LEGO House retail store, Billund, Denmark.